Re: Laptop clock is localtime, system time is off

On (11/10/05 17:48), Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 01:13:27PM +0100, Clive Menzies wrote:
> > On (10/10/05 06:21), Nate Bargmann wrote:
> > > * Clive Menzies <clive@clivemenzies.co.uk> [2005 Oct 10 05:13 -0500]:

> > > Thanks for the tip, but base-config had nothing about the system time
> > > in its menu, just users and passwords, hostname, configure apt, select
> > > and install packages, exit and execute a shell.  I guess I'll keep
> > > searching...
> >
> > Sorry, I assumed it would be in base-config .... my bad :(
> >
> > Look at man hwclock; I just had a quick look.  There is an
> > option:
> > --hctosys Set the System Time from the Hardware Clock.
>
> close :-)
>
> /etc/init.d# less hwclockfirst.sh
> #!/bin/bash
> # hwclockfirst.sh Set system clock to hardware clock, according to the
> # UTC
> #               setting in /etc/default/rcS (see also rcS(5)).
>
> [..]
>
> # WARNING:      If your hardware clock is not in UTC/GMT, this script
> #               must know the local time zone. This information is
>
> [..]
>
> # REMEMBER TO EDIT hwclock.sh AS WELL!

Thanks Chris

However, what the OP needed to do was 'not' set the system clock to the
hardware clock; it seems to avoid time conflicts on multi-boot systems.
During the install you're asked whether to set the system clock to the
hardware clock.  If you answer 'yes' it seems to screw around with the
time between Windows (or MacOSX) and Debian.

I was trying to suggest ways to reverse the 'yes' answer post install.
If it's not in base-config, what's the easiest/most elegant  way to do
this?

Regards

Clive

--