Re: hibernate/sleep howto

Ganeshram Iyer wrote:

hello experts,
I have debian sarge on a dell inspiron 5000. i was looking at using
either a sleep or hibernate function on it. but whatever info i am
able to find online requires me to path and compile my own kernel. i
have a very slow PC and limited space on my had (about 1gb) so do not
want to install compilers etc. is this the only way i can do this? any
clear howtos to do this? any help you can offer would be most
appreciated.
thanks
ganesh

Haven't tried yet, but there's a debian package called hibernate.

I have looked at this but if I run it, it says the following:
Your kernel does not have any recent Software Suspend 2 support compiled in.
Please follow the HOWTO linked from http://softwaresuspend.berlios.de/ for
instructions on how to compile Software Suspend into your kernel.
hibernate: Aborting.

if i look at the website then it mentions patch/compile/install
kernel. dont have the power to do this. will i still be able to do
this?

There are 2 kernel functions to "hibernate or sleep", if by that you mean *suspend*, or power the computer off while saving the state it was in.

There is the *suspend* kernel option: CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND=y
You can check in your /boot/config<kernel version> if you have the option.

Secondly there is suspend2, which is a patch to the kernel, which you discovered. It fiddles with keyboard.c to make things look pretty, but I don't know its trackrecord. But if you cannot kernel compile, you cannot use this option.

Depending on your kernel version, you may not have any luck using suspend. I never had luck, but I have not tried recently with the 2.6.12 and 2.6.13 kernels.

From swsusp.txt in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/power:
You need to append resume=/dev/your_swap_partition to kernel command
line. Then you suspend by

echo shutdown > /sys/power/disk; echo disk > /sys/power/state

But there are so many caveats in the documentation that for me, just booting is easier and takes very little time. But I am tempted to try again. I will post the results.

HTH