Re: hibernate/sleep howto

> Ganeshram Iyer wrote:
> >hello experts,
> >I have debian sarge on a dell inspiron 5000. i was looking at using
> >either a sleep or hibernate function on it. but whatever info i am
> >able to find online requires me to path and compile my own kernel. i
> >have a very slow PC and limited space on my had (about 1gb) so do not
> >want to install compilers etc. is this the only way i can do this? any
> >clear howtos to do this? any help you can offer would be most
> >appreciated.
> >thanks
> >ganesh
> >
> Haven't tried yet, but there's a debian package called hibernate.

I have looked at this but if I run it, it says the following:
Your kernel does not have any recent Software Suspend 2 support compiled in.
Please follow the HOWTO linked from http://softwaresuspend.berlios.de/ for
instructions on how to compile Software Suspend into your kernel.
hibernate: Aborting.

if i look at the website then it mentions patch/compile/install
kernel. dont have the power to do this. will i still be able to do
this?
thanks for your help.
ganesh