Re: hibernate/sleep howto

Ganeshram Iyer wrote:

hello experts,
I have debian sarge on a dell inspiron 5000. i was looking at using
either a sleep or hibernate function on it. but whatever info i am
able to find online requires me to path and compile my own kernel. i
have a very slow PC and limited space on my had (about 1gb) so do not
want to install compilers etc. is this the only way i can do this? any
clear howtos to do this? any help you can offer would be most
appreciated.
thanks
ganesh

Haven't tried yet, but there's a debian package called hibernate.

Package: hibernate
Section: utils
Installed-Size: 256
Maintainer: Cameron Patrick <cameron@patrick.wattle.id.au>
Architecture: all
Version: 1.10-1
Replaces: suspend-script (<= 0.94-1)
Recommends: console-tools, vlock, hdparm
Suggests: dash, kernel-patch-suspend2
Conflicts: suspend-script (<= 0.94-1)
Filename: pool/main/h/hibernate/hibernate_1.10-1_all.deb
Size: 67632
MD5sum: 982b4f52f42df4e06a4895c4f5427711
This package provides a way to activate the suspend functionality in
the kernel.  Currently it supports anything using the /sys/power/state
interface (including ACPI suspend and the in-kernel software
suspend), as well as Software Suspend 2 (which is available as a
separate kernel patch).
.
Hibernate can take care of loading and unloading modules, various
hacks needed to get some video cards to resume properly under X,
restarting networking and system services.  It can be extended by
writing new "scriplets" which run at different parts of the suspend
process.

--w.h--