Strange crontab-problem

Because some naughty boys try to get in one of my
clients' Debian-server a couple of hundred times a day
I decided to shut down sshd when I don't need. With a
simple mechanisme I can start sshd from distance
whenever I want.

Just in case I might forget to close it when I'm
ready, I run the following script 4 times a day:

================

#!/bin/sh

DATE="/bin/date"
DATUM=$($DATE +"%Y-%m-%d-%H:%M")
SUBJECT="HOL/"$DATUM

AANTAL=`ps -ef | /bin/grep '/usr/sbin/sshd' |
/usr/bin/wc -l`

if [ $AANTAL -ne 0 ] ; then

  /etc/init.d/ssh stop
  /usr/bin/mail joachimsmit@yahoo.com -s $SUBJECT <
/usr/local/sbin/txt/uittekst

fi

==========================

The strange thing is that when I run the script
interactive, it doesn't try to shut down sshd when
it's not active.

But when I call the script from crontab it ALWAYS
sends me an email, in other words, $AANTAL is always
greater than 0. When I echo the value of $AANTAL I see
that running from crontab it is always 1, running the
script interactive it is always 0 (if sshd is not
active)

Why is there a difference between interactive and
cron?

Kind regards,

Joachim

Yahoo! Music Unlimited