Re: Strange crontab-problem

Hello Joachim,

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 10:43:57 -0700 (PDT)
Joachim Smit <joachimsmit@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Because some naughty boys try to get in one of my
> clients' Debian-server a couple of hundred times a day
> I decided to shut down sshd when I don't need. With a
> simple mechanisme I can start sshd from distance
> whenever I want.
>
> Just in case I might forget to close it when I'm
> ready, I run the following script 4 times a day:
>
> ================
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> DATE="/bin/date"
> DATUM=$($DATE +"%Y-%m-%d-%H:%M")
> SUBJECT="HOL/"$DATUM
>
> AANTAL=`ps -ef | /bin/grep '/usr/sbin/sshd' |
> /usr/bin/wc -l`
>
> if [ $AANTAL -ne 0 ] ; then
>
>   /etc/init.d/ssh stop
>   /usr/bin/mail joachimsmit@yahoo.com -s $SUBJECT <
> /usr/local/sbin/txt/uittekst
>
> fi
>
> ==========================
>
> The strange thing is that when I run the script
> interactive, it doesn't try to shut down sshd when
> it's not active.
>
> But when I call the script from crontab it ALWAYS
> sends me an email, in other words, $AANTAL is always
> greater than 0. When I echo the value of $AANTAL I see
> that running from crontab it is always 1, running the
> script interactive it is always 0 (if sshd is not
> active)

Use pgrep sshd instead of your script line, see

ps -ef | /bin/grep '/usr/sbin/sshd'
root      4671     1  0 17:50 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/sshd
joerg    23168  5365  0 20:01 pts/0    00:00:00 /bin/grep /usr/sbin/sshd

Jörg

--
Jörg Schütter                      http://www.schuetter.org/joerg
joerg@schuetter.org                http://www.lug-untermain.de/