why do I need fam?

I running sarge with 2.6.8-686 as a desktop workstation.

I notice a slow down when I'm doing something as simple as copying a
large file and top shows the 'cp' command only using about 7% of cpu,
but also shows 'famd' as a big hog, using about 60-70 % cpu.

I've also had a couple freeze ups (like $M) when doing routine things
like removeing a large file.  I haven't been able to troubleshoot the
cause, but now wonder if they were related to fam.

My question is why do I need fam?

Should I remove it altogether or just delete the rc?.d links?

TIA