Re[2]: RAID

Hello Alvin,

> On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Bogdan Rotariu wrote:

>>   I have 3 hard disk at 250GB SATA 150 mounted on a RAID adapter.
>>   Because the adaptor makes me a lot of problems, i whant to use a
>>   software RAID 5.

> with 3 disks .. you're wasting 33% of usable disk in raid5
> with 4 disks .. you're wasting 25% of usable disk in raid5

> - the data better be worth the extra $$$ due to disk dying

>>   I download the netinstal iso of sarge and when i must choise the way
>>   of partitioning the hard drives, the partition utility give me some
>>   errors. I create on every hard disk a primary RAID partition and i
>>   create a RAID 5 md device.

> good .. assuming you did what i think you did..
>         - "FD" partition type for each partiton that will be
>         used in sw raid

>>   The problems apear when i must partition this hard disk, because the
>>   installer makes me just a partition and after that, it tells me that
>>   i can't create another partition because there are to many primary
>>   partition.

> you can only have 3 primary partition and one extended partition
> or up to  4 primary partitions

> you can have as many logical partitions in the extended partition
> as you like

> if the differences betwween primary and extended and logical partitions
> is like an alphabet soup..
>         - you should use extended partition type for partition#4
>         and do everything else as you normally did before
>         ( following the defaults fdisk/cfdisk gives you )

>         - other options is to use 4 or less partitions, but that
>         is bad idea, extreme bad idea in my book

i make the folowing think: on the first partition i made a root
partition(primary),a swap partition(logical) and a phisical raid
partiton(logical) and on the other disks i made a "psihical raid
partiton(logical). With the 3 "psihical raid partition" i made a RAID
5 md device(/dev/md0).When i installed the boot loader, it didn't give
me any error but the sistem thell me that he have no operating
system., How should i install the bootloader to could boot from this
hardisks?.

> c ya
> alvin

 10x again