Re: Moved to sarge: Great, but no sound!

Hendrik Boom wrote:
> I've been told that hotplug is specific to USB devices, that can be
> plugged in and out dymanically.

This is wrong. Why do you rely on such false information instead of just
taking a look?:
$ ls -1 /etc/hotplug | grep agent
dasd.agent
firmware.agent
ieee1394.agent
input.agent
net.agent
pci.agent
scsi.agent
tape.agent
usb.agent

Looks a lot more than usb to me and in fact, it DOES more.

> discover detects the devices that are less dynamically attached (such as
> IDE drives and sound card and the like, and makes wure the right modules
> are installed.

But it only cares for modules, not for actions that might be assigned to them,
like not just loading the ethernet card module but also bringing the device
up. On every mashine that I freed from discover insanity, I had a few
problems less.

> They do different things.

One looks actively (discover), the other is told by the kernel (hotplug).

HS

        oder über pgp.net