Re: How to completely reinstall a package?

On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 03:47:29PM -0500, Tim McDonough wrote:
I'm running Debian (Sarge) and had used X-Windows very little on what's primarily a file server when I got a larger, nicer monitor for the system. It was not obvious to me how to reconfigure the system for the better capabilities of the monitor so I, perhaps unwisely, decided I could simply uninstall then reinstall X-Windows and KDE.

I ran...

apt-get --purge remove kde
apt-get --purge remove x-window-system

Once that was done I used apt to install these pieces again but there are apparently remnants of the originals around so it never takes me through the configuration screens and I cannot get the windowing programs to run. In fact I cannot even find the startx command on the machine.

I'm certain this is some sort of classic newbie screw-up. Would someone explain what I've done wrong and how I might re-install things properly? Any help would be appreciated.

Running dpkg-reconfigure <package_name>
will take you through the configuration stuff again. As far as missing
programs such as startx goes, I am unsure.

--
Steve Block
http://ev-15.com/