/etc/network/interfaces: sysctl in as "up" command doesn't work!

Hi!

I need proxy_arp enabled on an ethernet interface, so I have the following line in /etc/network/interfaces:

    "up sysctl -w net.ipv4.conf.eth0.proxy_arp=1"

When the interface is brought up (on boot, or manually with "ifup eth0"), sysctl gets executed and its output shows that proxy_arp has been set to 1 (adding another "up" to read the value confirms this). However, after ifup returns, proxy_arp is disabled again.

Between the "up" directives getting executed, and ifup returning, Debian's "interfaces" mechanism is resetting values to their defaults somehow.

Does anybody know what is happening here, and how I can work around it?

--
Carlos Rodrigues

PS: running Debian Sarge