Checking Filesystems

I have a fairly new Debian 3.1 system running Samba that I use as a home fileserver. The machine has a 30GB drive set up with / and swap partitions.

Recently when running backups from Windows machines I've started getting errors that say one or more files don't verify correctly. They are not files that are in use at the time of the backup or verify and if I perform multiple backups in a row different files will not verify. On the last instance of this happening there were 3 files out of several thousand that did not verify correctly.

This sounds as if there may be one or more bad blocks. What's the most appropriate way to check and/or the filesystem?

Thanks for any pointers to utilities or articles.

--
Tim