Re: migrating users from redhat to debian without changing their passwords

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 02:49:03AM -0700, Radhika wrote:
> Hi,
>

>   Presently we are migrating from redhat linux webserver to debian 3.1 webserver so we need to get the all usernames and passwords need to move to debian 3.1 webserver so that users can login using their same usernames and passwords.
>
>  How do we do this.One option is copy the shadow file in to debian and next how to proceed.
>
>  My main aim is without creating all usernames and passwords again in debian linux how to deal with this problem
>
>  Please help me with the solution for this
>
> Best Regards

Check carefully: I know that Debian starts its "real users" at user id
500,501,502 ... . I'm not sure if Redhat uses the same numbering.

If you are not careful, you get "real users" under RedHat which are
"system/daemon users" under Debian or vice versa.
Type shadowconfig off on the RedHat box - that leaves you with
everything in /etc/passwd file.  Migrate that. Edit as appropriate.

It might be worth adding the users under Debian anyway - if there
aren't too many - so that you get them in a sequence you want.

I copied across /home by (in /home)

tar -pcvf oldhome.tar ./*

then copying it to /tmp on the other box, changing to /home
and typing

tar -pxvf /tmp/oldhome.tar

Odd user and group id's can be resolved with a recursive ownership
change.

chown -R [user]:[group] [name of directory to change]

so (for example)

chown -R andycater:users andycater

Any odd groups / users will show up as unmatched numeric values when
you do a ls -al on /home in this scenario.

Then you just type

id [user]

to get their uid/gid on the new box and do the chown trick as above.

HTH,

Andy