Re: migrating users from redhat to debian without changing their passwords

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 08:05:59PM +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> Check carefully: I know that Debian starts its "real users" at user id
> 500,501,502 ... . I'm not sure if Redhat uses the same numbering.

1000 for me... Mandr{iva,ake} starts at 500 or 501 I believe, most
others at 1000.

> If you are not careful, you get "real users" under RedHat which are
> "system/daemon users" under Debian or vice versa.  Type shadowconfig
> off on the RedHat box - that leaves you with everything in /etc/passwd
> file.  Migrate that. Edit as appropriate.

Surely the passwd file won't "just work" - it doesn't contain the salts
etc. to generate the password?

--
Jon Dowland
http://jon.dowland.name/