SetGID bit on directories

Hello,

We have a directory on an NFS mount that we want to be writable by members of a specific group, "pubcorpwrite".  So I did "chgrp pubcorpwrite" on the directory and all files and directories within it, and set the setgid bit on the directory and all its subdirectories because I thought this would force all files and directories created within to maintain that group.

To quote "info coreutils":
 2. set the process's effective group ID to that of the file upon
    execution (called the "setgid bit").  For directories on some
    systems, put files created in the directory into the same group as
    the directory, no matter what group the user who creates them is
    in.

Anyhow, someone just recently created a file there, and it was created with his primary group, instead of "pubcorpwrite".
The quote above says it only works "on some systems..."  Is Debian one such system?  If not, is there any way with NFS to get all files created in this directory to be in a certain group?  I know this could be done with Samba... but we're not currently using Samba.

Thanks!
--

C. Chad Wallace, B.Sc.
The Lodging Company