Re: Synaptic Package Manager vs. RPM

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 09:35:37AM -0700, Jeremy Merritt wrote:
> I started using Debian in the past 2 months after using another Linux distro for a long time. The other distro relies on RPM for its package management, with the consequence of the user having to go through "dependency hell" on a regular basis. I have been amazed at the size of the Synaptic Package repository and how seamless it integrates with Debian. Also, I have noticed that some other distros, presumably built on Debian technology, use the same, or a similar, system for package management.
>
> What makes Synaptic different from RPM in "concept"?

As already stated, you really mean to ask what makes .deb packages different from .rpm?

A very important difference is that .deb packages comply with Debian policy for placement
of files on disk ("a place for everything and everything in its place"). Look for the
document of Hierarchical File Structure on the Debian web site. Alien trys to make some
corrections but can't really handle all cases of muddle headedness that occur in .rpm
packages.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net