Re: counting bandwidth usage

Almut Behrens wrote:

On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 06:14:41PM -0400, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
Very trivial question. I have two machines workA, homeB. Let's say I am sitting at workA and run an nxclient session to connect to homeB. Now in this homeB session, I open a konsole and download 1GB file (using wget). Will this be counted as network traffic of 1GB on homeB or network traffic of 1GB on workA? I ask because, I pay for network usage at workA but at homeB it is free.

Unless you've tunneled port 80 (or whichever port wget is using) from
home back to work, the file will be downloaded via your home network.
(I'm assuming there's a seperate internet connection at work and at
home.)  By default, NX will only forward your X display, so that's the
only traffic you'll have to pay for...  IOW, nothing to worry about.

BUT Make sure you understand that the resulting downloaded data is now on homeB not workA. Any further manipulation you wish to do on the data will have to be conducted using tools on homeB, not workA, because the data hasn't actually been transferred to workA. Of course you can control such manipulation from workA as you did the download in the first place, but if this data is for example an image and you expect to be able to use some image manipulation tool on workA to work with it that's going to entail transferring the data again, this time from homeB to workA, and that means paying for the transfer judging by the info you provided in your inital post...

Will there be any difference in the answer if I use ssh instead of nxclient?

Hardly any.  nxclient might cause somewhat less traffic than ssh with X
forwarding, because NX is highly optimized for just that...  If you can
live with just a remote terminal login (no X GUI), then ssh will cause
even less traffic, of course.

Cheers,
Almut