Re: LILO, SATA & IDE drive

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 00:25:20 -0700 (PDT)
Alvin Oga <aoga@mail.Linux-Consulting.com> wrote:

> hi ya ron
>
> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> > I just successfully installed etch (now upgraded to sid)
> > onto a SATA drive /dev/sda.  Now, though, I want to get
> > my data off of the old IDE drive.  So, I stuck it in and
> > powered up. Unfortunately, but understandably, the box
> > wants to boot off of that drive /dev/hda.
>
> you can also go into the BIOS and tell it to boot off hd0
> vs hd1

If the BIOS has such an option, I haven't found it.

>        or usb-hdd listed after hda

Huh?  Why USB?

> 	- the boot name varies between different bios and
> vendors
> > Is changing the boot= param from /dev/sda to /dev/hda all
> > that is necessary?  (Besides rerunning lilo, of course.)
>
> no ..

If I can't mod the BIOS, how will lilo know to update the
/dev/hda MBR, to tell it that the OS, etc are on /dev/sda?

> you need to remove  /boot/map

rm it, or comment it out of lilo.conf?

> 	- unless oyu like to get L- LI- LIL-  or 99 99 99
> or 80 80 80
>
> lilo will recreate the map file based on the new config of
> combinations of disks
>
> > Existing lilo.conf:
> >   boot=/dev/sda  ###  <<<<<<<<<<<<
> >   root=/dev/sda2
>
> that assumes you're booting into your new sata disk

Yes, I definitely want to boot into the new system, not the
old disk.

But the BIOS wants to run the "old" lilo that's on /dev/hda,
not the new lilo that's on /dev/sda.