Re: Newbie wants Firefox and Tbird

Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> Well I like the benefit of typing one line.  In debian, being in the
> group sudo allows you to skip using a password.  So to me there's a
> benefit over:  typing su, typing root's password, typing my command,
> exiting.

    I like the benefit of not having to worry about permissions on certain
directories getting in my way when I am looking for information.  For example..

{grey@mania:/var/log} cd exim4
cd: permission denied: exim4

or...

{grey@teleute:~} cd /etc/shorewall
cd: permission denied: /etc/shorewall

    Often when doing root work there are 2 commands that follow one another
and if either fails nothing gets done.

cd
vim