ifup on startup

Hi, for some reason ifup has stopped working on startup of my debian
system.  Once its started up I can log in as root and ifup and
everything works fine, it just won't work on boot.

I've looked at /etc/init.d/networking and things look o.k. (although
I'm not sure but it looks like there's an ifup call there).

I'm wondering how I can just get the network card configured on startup
instead of having to manually do this every time.

thanks,
John