Shutdown missing from GNOME "Actions" menu....

Debian Users,

I recently completed my first install of a dual-boot box with Debian Sarge and Windows XP.

However, on my first solo Debian Sarge box I had "Reboot" and "Shutdown" options on the "Actions" menu of my Gnome desktop. Is there a setting that controls wether these options appear, and if so, where do I find them?

I also noticed that bash doesn't recognize the "shutdown" or "reboot" command unless I'm logged in as root. Is this a file permisions error? To fix it do I change the permisssions of the shutdown and reboot bash command files? Where would I find those files on a Debian Sarge OS?

Thanks,

Scott Huey