Re: Shutdown missing from GNOME "Actions" menu....

Hi,

Redefined Horizons wrote:

Debian Users,
I recently completed my first install of a dual-boot box with Debian Sarge and Windows XP. However, on my first solo Debian Sarge box I had "Reboot" and "Shutdown" options on the "Actions" menu of my Gnome desktop. Is there a setting that controls wether these options appear, and if so, where do I find them?

I'm not really sure about the GNOME specific stuff (i haven't used gnome in ages...), but i'm assuming that should be an option when you choose to log out. if not, gdm (the graphical login for the gnome desktop) should have a shutdown or reboot button.

I also noticed that bash doesn't recognize the "shutdown" or "reboot" command unless I'm logged in as root. Is this a file permisions error? To fix it do I change the permisssions of the shutdown and reboot bash command files? Where would I find those files on a Debian Sarge OS?

Well, the reason it doesn't recognize the command is because /sbin is not in a normal users $PATH. It's not an issue of the permission's on the shutdown/reboot files, although it does matter that your user doesn't have those kind of powers over the kernel. I would say you would be best off just running the command as root and not giving yourself any unnatural super-powers.

Good luck,
Cameron Matheson