Re: how to use mailing lists

On Sunday 18 September 2005 09:21 pm, linux wrote:
> is it just me or is this mailing list useless?

It's you.

> i posted my question ages ago and have recieved nothing but heaps of
> to work like this?

Yes.  There is a huge difference between mailing lists and tech support.

Tech support is where you pay someone some coin to make 90% of the effort
for you, or to give you all the answers just for the asking.
If this is what you're looking for, there are plenty of good people that will
gladly help you with a smile.  http://debian.org/consultants/

A mailing list is where you are making 90% of the effort, or are trying to
answer your own questions, giving everybody on the list as much to work with
as possible.  The effort is on you, the list subscriber, to help everyone else
help you (and vice-versa).  The answers for the list will benefit future
users with the same problem, thanks to the power of Google.  If you would
like to help Debian as you help yourself, then you're in the right place, and
you might want to take a look at http://lists.debian.org/ for additional
possible lists.

> how do i get better results out of this mailing list?

Asking the smartest question you can will make the biggest difference.