Re: problem with automatic upgrade (changed conffile)

On mandag 19 september 2005, 00:18, Hans Ekbrand wrote:
> > You must
> > expect issues like these, it is a feature... :-)
>
> Not getting security updates automatically installed a feature? Not
> in my world!

Well, imagine the security.debian.org box getting compromised, and the
attacker pumping out a trojanned "security" upgrade. You install it
automatically before the Debian folks take the box out. The attacker
has your IP too... That's a serious single point of failure for the
entire community, you know...

I prefer to read and understand the DSA, and check that the DSA is
signed with a key I trust (I'm just a hop from joey) before I do a
manual apt-get upgrade on affected machines.

But YMMV, that's just me.

Cheers,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo
Programmer / Astrophysicist / Ski-orienteer / Orienteer / Mountaineer