Re: problem with automatic upgrade (changed conffile)

On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 11:50:28PM +0200, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
> On søndag 18 september 2005, 23:34, Hans Ekbrand wrote:
> > I have changed /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc, but so what? Why does dpkg fail
> > here?
>
> There are certain limitations to doing things automatically, and in this
> case, it detects certain changes that it needs your input on. It is a
> config files that's changed. I believe it is possible to tweak
> something to make it do more things automatically, though.

The default action is to keep my changes, and that is what I want.

> You must
> expect issues like these, it is a feature... :-)

Not getting security updates automatically installed a feature? Not in
my world!

> Note that there is a package cron-apt, that you may want to install
> instead. It can be configured to do automatic upgrades.

cron-apt is just a wrapper around apt-get, I used it for a year or so.
AFAIK cron-apt cannot make apt-get (or dkpg) smarter, it just
automates the apt-get update, apt-get -y dist-upgrade thing much like
the lines in my crontab.

--
Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <hans@sociologi.cjb.net>
Q. Why is top posting bad?