Tape Backup advice needed - dump, tar etc.

Hello,
We are setting up Debian Linux on a new server for a PostGreSQL database.  In the past, on FreeBSD, I used the dump utility with the live filesystem (snapshot) switch to backup the running database.  Does dump on linux support live filesystem backups as well?  How are most people backing up to tape with Debian (or linux in general)?  I need a robust backup because this will be a production server.  Advice is appreciated.
-John