Re: Overwhelmed newbie

Angelo Bertolli wrote:
Kent West wrote:

Fritz Brown wrote:
, surf the internet (I have Opera for Linux ready to install),

Once you have an Internet connection, you're good to go. Most
applications you want are available from the official Debian
repositories, and it's generally these versions you'll want to install,
especially as a newbie. Opera, however, not being "F"ree (although it is
"f"ree), is not available from the Debian repositories. Might I suggest
Firefox?
On that note, I found that Firefox and Thunderbird are a couple of those programs that you don't want to use the Debian repository to get. I don't know why but the Debian versions of Firefox and Thunderbird don't allow me to install new themes or extensions.

Then you're doing something wrong. It works for lots of people. Please don't spread misinformation based on an isolated incident.