Re: Overwhelmed newbie

Fritz Brown wrote:
> Well, I don't have any idea what's what when I begin the install.  I have 7 CDs (booting from the CD), and get through the partitioning OK, but am utterly without a clue when it starts asking about packages with cryptic names and cryptic descriptions on the second bootup (or is it the third?).
> >
> > As long as you've selected the Internet capability you can always add
> > stuff later using `apt-get` or `aptitude` so you can ignore the rest.
> > Also, you can always remove stuff at a later date.

Take it easy, Fritz. You will be amazed by how easy it actually is,
once you get the hang of it. In the meantime:

First, recall that the actual stable release is 3.1 (Sarge), not 3.0
(Woody). Woody is outdated, but if you have those CDs and want/have to
use them, go ahead, it should be fine.

Second, I don't think any CD over the third has to be used during a
sensible installation, unless you want Korean support for the
OpenOffice Tea Biscuit Recipe Template. Probably the first two will do.
What you have to do is to make a working installation, then put tools
as "aptitude" or "apt-get" to good use, and install further packages as
you come to need them.

Third, choose a "Desktop" installation, as mentioned by another poster,
then choose the default for everything, except those questions where
you definitely know the correct answer. This will produce a working
system 99.9% of the times, and the (many) questions regarding missing
packages or configuration tweaks you might (will) come across... you
can ask them here!

HTH,

     Basajaun