weirdest network problems of my ilfe

Hi,

Ok after installing the new router that came w/ my dsl i'm having the most
mind-boggling internet problems of my life.  Here's some background on my
network:

                               +----Linux box
                               |----Linux laptop (wireless)
Wireless/Wired Router/Modem----+----Windows box #1
                               |----Windows laptop
                               +----Windows laptop (wireless)

Ok, so first off... all of my family's windows boxes are working fine.
Everything is just normal.  The linux boxen however, have problems.
Internet generally works (although some sites (slashdot, gmail, etc) won't
load in firefox (for some reason they will in links).  I can't connect to
yahoo/jabber/msn/etc w/ gaim, but i can w/ centericq.  I've been trying to
figure out all this for forever and so i tried to tcptraceroute my way to
messenger.hotmail.com as an experiment (on port 1863 or whatever it was).
It took a while, but the route was traced.  The funny thing is that if i
start tracing the route, and then start up gaim, i connect just fine.
same goes for the sites that didn't load up in my browser... I can't
figure out why everything works on the windows, but not on my linux boxen.
 the network stuff is all assigned by the router (dhcp).  What should i
do?

Thanks,
Cameron Matheson