Re: webcam troubles

2005/9/14, Sven Hoexter <sven@timegate.de>:
> On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 06:45:39PM -0500, Jon Roed wrote:
> > i have been fooling around with my webcam trying to get it too work.  I
> > managed to get the webcam command to work (sort of) now it starts, but i get
> > no picture, and an error that says:
> >
> > ftp: lost connection
> > ftp: connect failed, sleeping 5 sec
> > ftp: lost connection
> > ftp: connect failed, sleeping 10 sec
> > ftp: lost connection
> > ftp: connect failed, sleeping 20 sec
> >
> > and it just keeps doing that.  I think it's because my ftp port (port 21) is
> > closed.  How do i open it ?  or at least allow this traffic
> After reading the description for the package webcam I guess that
> webcam tries to upload to a default ftp server which might be localhost.
> So you can configure webcam to use a real server for the upload or use
> vgrabbj to capture a picture and then use a few scripts and lftp to upload
> via ftps to a remote ftp server.
>
> HTH
> Sven
> --
> If God passed a mic to me to speak
> I'd say stay in bed, world
> Sleep in peace
>    [The Cardigans - 03:45: No sleep]
>

> --

You can specify wich file configuration is used by webcam; de default
is /home/user/.webcamrc is you run as user, and /etc/.webcamrc if you
run as root. You also can define it with &webcam /dir/.webcamrc to use
your own

In that file you can specify the parameters of where do you want to
upload the picture; for example, if you want to do it at your local
host, you can hace a file configuration like this:

terpsicore:~# more /etc/.webcamrc
[grab]
device = /dev/video0
text = "webcam %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"