Re: webcam troubles

On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 06:45:39PM -0500, Jon Roed wrote:
> i have been fooling around with my webcam trying to get it too work.  I
> managed to get the webcam command to work (sort of) now it starts, but i get
> no picture, and an error that says:
>
> ftp: lost connection
> ftp: connect failed, sleeping 5 sec
> ftp: lost connection
> ftp: connect failed, sleeping 10 sec
> ftp: lost connection
> ftp: connect failed, sleeping 20 sec
>
> and it just keeps doing that.  I think it's because my ftp port (port 21) is
> closed.  How do i open it ?  or at least allow this traffic
After reading the description for the package webcam I guess that
webcam tries to upload to a default ftp server which might be localhost.
So you can configure webcam to use a real server for the upload or use
vgrabbj to capture a picture and then use a few scripts and lftp to upload
via ftps to a remote ftp server.

HTH
Sven
--