Re: How do you "move to testing/etch"?

On 9/14/05, marc <gmane@auxbuss.com> wrote:

> My best guess is to edit /etc/apt/sources.list, and apt-get update, apt-
> get dist-upgrade, but can anyone point to a good description of the
> process, please.

^^^ pointing to description of the process ^^^

This is out of date?
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html
It was updated a month ago.

> In addition, is there a written example of adding a package from sid?

Be sure sid is in apt.sources, then...
apt-get install package
That should get sid if you have no /etc/apt/preferences

or the more sureshot way
apt-get -t distribution install package

Look at 'Keeping a mixed system' in the doc mentioned above, or search
for apt preferences, or apt-pinning to keep control of things

--
Chris Martin
Web Developer