How do you "move to testing/etch"?

Hi,

I've scoured the archives and docs, and googled the globe, but I cannot
find an explanation for safely moving - as safe as it can be - from
stable/sarge to testing/etch.

The Debian Reference has chapter 5, 'Upgrading a distribution to stable,
testing, or unstable', but it is non-generic and very much out of date -
as well as stating, "After properly setting up /etc/apt/sources.list and
/etc/apt/preferences as described above you can begin the upgrade.",
without actually saying what needs to be done.

My best guess is to edit /etc/apt/sources.list, and apt-get update, apt-
get dist-upgrade, but can anyone point to a good description of the
process, please.

In addition, is there a written example of adding a package from sid?

--
Best,
Marc