Re: X won't start having upgraded from xsever to xorg

Carl Fink on 14/09/05 11:20, wrote:
On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 10:22:38AM +0100, Adam Hardy wrote:

to escape from x, the key combo ALT-CTRL-Backspace will kill it and everything running.

On my laptop, since installing Xorg, I get the xdm login screen, but it's
totally nonresponsive to keyboard input.  Ctrl-Backspace does nothing, nor
will any other key work.  The Caps Lock is always on and can't be turned
off.  I had to remove the battery to get it to reboot into Windows so I could
send this.

Oh sorry, I keep forgetting. That key combo will get you back to the cmd line if you started x with startx.

I don't see the attraction of using xdm or booting up into a GUI unless you're on a stable system. The cmd line is so useful.

Have you tried CTRL-ALT-F2 to get a cmd line login prompt on one of your other ttys?

Adam