Re: IMAP Bandwith

On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 12:56 +0200, Koybe wrote:
> 2005/9/14, Roberto C. Sanchez <roberto@familiasanchez.net>:
> > On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 11:39:11AM +0200, Koybe wrote:
[snip]
> Sure for a local network but i was thinking about client connecting
> trough the internet.

An important point you neglected to mention.

Now it's beginning to sound like a small ISP, or other distributed
organization.

[snip]
> I know it's a bit large as a question. The goal is to get an overall
> idea of what is needed.

For pulling emails across:
  Bn = Sa * Uc
where
  Bn is Bandwidth Needed
  Sa is Average Size of an email
  Uc is Average number of concurrent users

For IMAP overhead, it *really* varies on how many new emails the
users get between each time they check their mail, and on the
MUAs they use.  For example, Evolution really hammers the IMAP
server, getting all sorts of header info.  T-bird doesn't.  Don't
know about Outlook and the rest.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Temporarily not of Jefferson, LA USA

"To his dog, every man is Napoleon; hence the constant popularity
of dogs."
Aldous Leonard Huxley