Re: 2.6.11 upgradde #1: nvidia drivers don't work?

Hey folks,

Bob Proulx wrote:

>Matt Price wrote:
>

>>Ms Linuz wrote:

>You should not need to have "nvidia" in /etc/modules.  If you do then
>something else is broken.
>

>>>You said you've used the 7174 version, afaik the recent version is 7667.
>>>

>Referring to the 7667 sounds like pulling bits directly from nVidia
>because 7174 is still current in sid.
>

>>>If you don't mind you could use it and see the result.
>>>Make sure changing X conf file following the doc, make sure you have
>>>nvidia in your /etc/modules, and have this line on
>>>/etc/udev/permissions.rules
>>>
>>>SUBSYSTEM=="nvidia",    GROUP="video", MODE="0666"
>>>

>I have never needed that when using the packages for Debian.

In any case, the line was already there -- either I added it myself
long ago or it was added by some nvidia package along the way...

>>(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module!
>>(EE) NVIDIA(0) *** Aborting ***
>>

>And of course it would be nice if it said why it did not load the
>nvidia driver.  That is the problem to deduce right now.
>
>What is the output of lspci?
>
>  lspci | grep VGA

gives: 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17
[GeForce4 MX 440] (rev a3).  this is NOT a new card!  used to work fine
with the 4496  nvidia-kernel package under 2.4.23.

>>I can loadthe nvidia module manually using modconf, and no error
>>messages are reported
>>

>Try loading it with modprobe and seeing if there are any errors.
>
>  modprobe nvidia

none yet.

>If not then what is the output of this:
>
>  cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
>

>Do you have a really, really, *really* new graphics card that would
>not be supported by 7174?

definitely not...

>Bob

thnks everyone for the help.  no ned to apologize ms linux!

matt