Re: 2.6.11 upgradde #1: nvidia drivers don't work?

Ms Linuz wrote:
> Matt Price wrote:
>

>>Ms Linuz wrote:
>>

>>>Look at your /etc/modules and make sure there is 'nvidia' ( without
>>>quote ) line exists.
>>>If not, add nvidia in your /etc/modules
>>>

>>thanks, tried that, didn't work for me.  I think the problem is somehow
>>more fundamental (had tried manually loading the drivers b4 starting X
>>as well); in any case the nv driver works fine for now...
>>
>>matt
>>

> You said you've used the 7174 version, afaik the recent version is 7667.
> If you don't mind you could use it and see the result.
> Make sure changing X conf file following the doc, make sure you have
> nvidia in your /etc/modules, and have this line on
> /etc/udev/permissions.rules
>
> SUBSYSTEM=="nvidia",    GROUP="video", MODE="0666"
>
> of course uninstall the previous version first, nvidia-installer --uninstall
>
> --w.h--

hmm, I don't have nvidia-installer on my system and
apt-cache search nvidia-installer
gives nothing...  I have been using the debian nonfree packages, are you
saying I should move to the upstream release?
nvidia is in /etc/modules, and the line
SUBSYSTEM=="nvidia",    GROUP="video"
was in my /etc/udev/permissions.rules

-- but I haven't really set up udev yet, that's sort of next on my list
-- should I do some in depth udev exploration before I continueo n the
nvidia quest?

matt