2.6.11 upgradde #1: nvidia drivers don't work?

Hi there,

am finally upgrading my system from a 2.4.25 kernel to 2.6.11-1-k7.  The
trnasition is going ok so far, except for a few problems (see my next message or
two) of which the first concerns the nvidia closed-source drivers.

I have downloaded the nvidia-kernel-source modules (1.0.7174-4) from sid, and
they compile and install just fine.  nvidia-kernel-common and nvidia-glx are
also installed.  I can loadthe nvidia module manually using modconf, and no
error messages are reported; but when I try to start X I get the old wretched
error messages I remember from long ago:

(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA(0) *** Aborting ***

I have the nv module in place now instead, and it works fine as long as I'm not
datching video or any such thing, so it's not a crisis, but I wondered whether
other peopleh ave the same experience, or if you can recommend a procedure for
figuring out what the problem is.

So, as usual, thanks in advance,

Matt