Re: root on LVM

On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 18:22 +0200, marco_elen wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> I tried to convert the root to LVM using LVM10 tools (deb: lvm10) on
> 2.4.27 kernel (deb: kernel-image-2.4.27-2-686-smp), but after an
> lvmcreate_initrd and reboot I get:
> cramfs: wrong magic.
> Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 3a:00.
>
> I searched the web and the only info I found is that it is not
> possible using Debian unless compiling a custom kernel.
> Is this correct or do I have other chances?

That is not correct. You can even use the debian installer to install
root on LVM (generic kernel). You probably want to be using lvm2 rather
than lvm10 (old). The trick is that /boot must be on it's own partition,
and must not be LVM.

What version of Debian are you using?

I've never tried converting a system to LVM, so I'm not sure I can be of
much help in that case, but if you were to start with LVM from a clean
install, I think you'd find it pretty straight forward.

-davidc

--
gpg-key: http://www.zettazebra.com/files/key.gpg