Hardware RAID advices needed

Hi all!

I'm finally back after getting a nasty project on my back, and I have a
question... I'm thinking about buying a hardware RAID controller for my
desktop. The main reason I don't want to go with software RAID is that
my mobo IDE controllers are allready full with other stuff, and one of
them may have a problem. So, I would need some kind of controller
anyway.

I'm not doing it for performance, just for reliability. Yeah, I have
additional backup, but I like the idea that the data will be accessible
even if a disk crashes. So, that's main priority.

Now, what I was thinking: If I buy a four channel RAID card now, and two
S-ATA disks (which is what I want), set them up in RAID 1, can I add a
third disk later, and convert this system seamlessly to RAID 5 without
a reinstall?

Every Linux geek I know says "no, I don't think so", but I think my old
sysadmin did that routinely on Tru64 years ago... If a disk blew up,
he'd just throw it away and replace it, no worries.

I'll go with a HW RAID even if I can't do exactly this, but then I think
I'll go with a 2-channel controller. Can I have your recommendations,
please, for a controller for a simple desktop system, with the main
object of having redundancy in case of a disk crash?

I think I'll go with the cheapest there is for the task.

I've seen a 2-channel RAID 1 Adaptec AAR-1210SA, that's a really cheap
one, I can go a bit higher than that. The cheapest 4-channel RAID 4
I've seen is HighPoint RocketRAID 1640 S-ATA. Same range is a number of
Promise FastTrak cards. Then there's the Adaptec  2410SA, which I have
seen recommended, but I think that if I go that high, it should be able
to do the RAID 1 to 5 seemlessly thing, or have a good reputation for
taking good care of my data.

I've heard that some HW controllers can make it really painful to access
the data, even if just one disk crashed. Is this a problem with any of
the mentioned?

Finally, would you buy disks from the same or different manufacturers? I
would guess that similar disks are easier on the controller, but OTOH
if there is a flaw in one, it is likely to be in the other too....

Your recommendations are most welcome! :-)

Cheers,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo
Programmer / Astrophysicist / Ski-orienteer / Orienteer / Mountaineer