Re: Mutt and html [was: Compiling Kernel for Bootsplash...]

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 06:44:21AM +0200, David Jardine wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 05:06:22PM -0700, James Vahn wrote:
> > David Jardine wrote:

> > > Using mutt, I see no html.  Is this a bug or a feature of mutt?
> > > (I do often get html attachments - and also quite a lot of html
> > > source code from spammers.)
> >
> > I use tin here (localhost fed from gmane) and it seems his message was an
> > encoded blob, which I could only see by hitting ctrl-h to view the raw
> > message and its headers:

> >  QmVmb3JlIEkgZ28gYW55IGZ1cnRoZXIsIHllcywgSSBuZWVkIGJvb3RzcGxhc2g6IE15IGNvbXB1
> >  dGVyIGlzIGR1YWwtYm9vdCAKYW5kIHRoZSBvdGhlciB1c2VyIGluc2lzdHMgb24gQTogVXNpbmcg
> >  IEkgc2hhbGwgYmUgZ2V0dGluZyBhIGxhcC10b3Agc29vbi4gKEJ5IHRoZSBieWUsIHdoeSAKZG9l
> >
> > Mutt probably saw "Content-Disposition: inline" and acted appropriately.
>
> And "text/plain".  So where did the html idea come from?

From the text/html part of the multipart message. The poster who saw
the html part is using Evolution, which I've never used, but which
probably has a configuration setting to prefer the text version of a
multipart message.

Drifting further off-topic, I notice that Mozilla Thunderbird defaults
to sending html email. This seems a very odd choice to me, especially
for the Linux version. In the Windows version, I can understand that
the intention is to give users weaned from OE what they're used to,
but it certainly isn't what users of other Linux mail clients are used
to.

--
PJR :-)