Re: Help!

Stephen R Laniel wrote:

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 02:00:25PM +0100, David Goodenough wrote:
You need to switch to the root user, and issue the following
command (for KDE, I am not sure for GNOME):-

apt-get install x-window-system kde kdm

Two things:

1) It's been a while since I've installed Debian. Are new
users added automatically to the sudoers file? If so, I'd
recommend sudoing the apt-get command above, rather than
doing it as root.

2) This new user's experience suggests that the Debian
installer isn't very good for new users. I might suggest
that users get a three-option prompt at their first screen:
"I am a beginning user", "I am an intermediate user", or "I
am an advanced user." Beginning users wouldn't have to type
anything else, except their desired username and password.
All other questions would get default answers.

How close does the Sarge installer get to this?

Sarge get pretty close, but even though I took the beginner X configuration options at install, I still had to do some manual editing of the Xconfig file to enable greater resolution. It's a show stopper until you dig it out in Google, but once you do, most things are quite easy for the intermediate user. A straight debian install is not what I'd recommend for very new users. I'd point those users to Ubuntu, which, with the help of the Unofficial Unbuntu guide, can get you fully functional with a streamlined, updated debian system in short order.

best of luck.

Brian