Re: Help!

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 07:48:53AM -0400, George Boyce wrote:
> I'm not sure what to do from here! I typed in ENTER - no good. I
> tried LOGON........still no good! Keeps
> bringing me to  "username"@Debian1: ~$

Good news: it's doing *almost* exactly what it should.
When you get 'username@Debian1: ~$', that's called the
"command line." It's a very powerful way of interacting with
your computer.

However, for new users, I think it's a better idea for them
to be using a "graphical desktop." Debian comes with a few
graphical desktops; "GNOME" and "KDE" are two popular ones.
Just to give you some idea, here's a screenshot of what my
graphical desktop (GNOME, with some KDE apps) looks like:

http://laniels.org/img/graphical_desktop.png

Debian should, by default, install a graphical desktop on
your machine. It's a tiny bit complicated to explain how to
get a graphical desktop installed now that you've completed
the installation. You'll need to install a number of Debian
packages -- among them the gnome package -- but I don't know
which ones to tell you offhand. I assume others do.

Good luck.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve@laniels.org