Re: Help!

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 02:00:25PM +0100, David Goodenough wrote:
> You need to switch to the root user, and issue the following
> command (for KDE, I am not sure for GNOME):-
>
> apt-get install x-window-system kde kdm

Two things:

1) It's been a while since I've installed Debian. Are new
users added automatically to the sudoers file? If so, I'd
recommend sudoing the apt-get command above, rather than
doing it as root.

2) This new user's experience suggests that the Debian
installer isn't very good for new users. I might suggest
that users get a three-option prompt at their first screen:
"I am a beginning user", "I am an intermediate user", or "I
am an advanced user." Beginning users wouldn't have to type
anything else, except their desired username and password.
All other questions would get default answers.

How close does the Sarge installer get to this?

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve@laniels.org