Re: kernel 2.4 -> 2.6 upgrading procedure

On 9/6/05, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
David Niemi wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > In the future when you install Debian it is highly recommended to
> > install using the linux 2.6 kernel instead of the 2.4 kernel.  Yes, I
>
> Wasn't obvious when I read through the install instructions :)

Yes.  Agreed.  Grumble, grumble.  In the future when a 2.8 becomes
stable we will be having the same conversation about the default being
the 2.6 kernel.  :-)

> > I want a linux 2.6 kernel.  I want discover, hotplug, udev installed.
> > (I need module-init-tools so that initrds are created properly.
> > Really only a problem when upgrading from old Sarge snapshots or woody.)
> >
> >   aptitude install discover hotplug udev module-init-tools
> >
> >   aptitude install kernel-image-2.6.8-11-em64t-p4
> >
> > That should work.
>
> Thanks for the info Bob, I'll give your suggestions a try.  Just making
> the hdxx -> sdxx changes in grub didn't work.  When I installed the 2.6
> kernels (tried couple) with aptitude I thought that it would have taken
> care of the dependencies that you listed, I'll give your suggestions a
> try later today.

Those are not strictly speaking kernel dependencies.  They are not
needed to run a 2.6 kernel.  So they are not dependencies.  You can
definitely run a 2.6 kernel without them.

But without discover you don't get boot time discovery of your
hardware and would need to put all of the modules that you need to
load in /etc/modules manually.  That is just like in the old days of
Woody.  Without hotplug when you connect or disconnect things like USB
devices you would need to load and unload the modules that drive them.
That is also just like Woody.  Running hotplug and udev means that
devices that hotplug detects are needed can auto-magically appear.  So
that combination is just plain nice.

I would like to know whether discover and hotplug overstep in each others area. I am not sure though that I have all these three. But for eth0 I get msg that another instance of ifplugd has already configured it. Whether both discover and hotplug both try to do it or what?

--
L.V.Gandhi
http://lvgandhi.tripod.com/