Re: kernel 2.4 -> 2.6 upgrading procedure

On Mon, 2005-09-05 at 12:13 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> David Niemi wrote:
> > Yub, another Debian noobie here.
>
> Welcome!

> > When I installed the 2.4.27 XX kernel was installed but I'd like to
> > go up to the 2.6.8-11-emt64t-p4-smp kernel as I've got a dual Xeon
> > emt64 3.2Ghz system.
>
> In the future when you install Debian it is highly recommended to
> install using the linux 2.6 kernel instead of the 2.4 kernel.  Yes, I
Wasn't obvious when I read through the install instructions :)

> > Reading the messages from the past month others are trying similar and
> > initially getting similar results: cannot open /dev/console, Kernel
> > Panic.
>
> Sounds like a problem with the initrd (initial ram disk) not having
> all of the modules needed to access the local filesystem.
>
> > One suggestion was for the SATA drives to be listed as sdxx in grub for
> > the 2.6 kernels and another user suggested recreating the initrd image
> > and also possibly using rdev.  Lastly another user said that there was
> > quite a few differences between the installations with the 2.4 vs 2.6
> > kernels and had installed with linux26 ??
>
> Lots of information and noise there!  It can be confusing.
>
> > Should I download a current CD image (eg
> > debian-testing-ia64-netinst.iso) and try it or use the i386 install
> > version?
>
> If you are bound and determined to reinstall from scratch then make
> sure you select the 2.6 kernel and you should be fine.  But I never
> have found the need to reinstall.  Unless trying to downgrade because
> downgrading is not supported, only upgrading.  Upgrading and switching
> is easy.  Debian's APT makes these types of changes easy.  The trick
> is to know what things you want to do.
>
> I strongly recommend that you do NOT use "testing" Etch at this
> moment.  If you are just getting going with Debian then you have
> probably not learned the details needed to drive a development system.
> I strongly recommend that you install a "stable" Sarge system.  Both
> Testing and Unstable are going through some heavy transitions right
> now that are throwing curves at even the experienced users.  In a
> couple of months it will be settled down.  But for now it is quite a
> busy place.
>
> I want a linux 2.6 kernel.  I want discover, hotplug, udev installed.
> (I need module-init-tools so that initrds are created properly.
> Really only a problem when upgrading from old Sarge snapshots or woody.)
>
>   aptitude install discover hotplug udev module-init-tools
>
>   aptitude install kernel-image-2.6.8-11-em64t-p4
>
> That should work.
>
> Bob

Thanks for the info Bob, I'll give your suggestions a try.  Just making
the hdxx -> sdxx changes in grub didn't work.  When I installed the 2.6
kernels (tried couple) with aptitude I thought that it would have taken
care of the dependencies that you listed, I'll give your suggestions a
try later today.