using the 'find' program

I've been using linux for quite a while but am still perplexed by
the proper usage of the 'find' program.  I always end up using
locate instead.  Anyway, I need it now so I re-read the man and
tried the following:

    cd /tmp
    touch testfile
    find . -iname testfile -print

and I get nothing.

I also tried:

    find /tmp -iname testfile -print
        and
    find /tmp -iname 'testfile' -print

and still get no decent results.  Instead, I get this error msg:

find: warning: Unix filenames usually don't contain slashes (though
pathnames do).  That means that '-iname /tmp' will probably evaluate
to false all the time on this system.  You might find the
'-wholename' test more useful, or perhaps '-samefile'.
Alternatively, if you are using GNU grep, you could use 'find ...
-print0 | grep -FzZ /tmp'.

Or this example, straight from the man:

    find . -type f -exec file '{}' \;

which returns nothing.

Now these are basic examples right from the man.  Why can I not even
get these to work?

kevin@scout:/tmp$ dpkg -l |grep find
ii  findutils              4.2.25-1

Thanks