Re: changing window managers

In article <[🔎] psrnhmb5.fsf@cante.net> you wrote:
> Larry Fletcher <de-41@extra.lafn.org> writes:
> | I have been using icewm for about 5 years, but I have been
> | having problems since I upgraded to sarge.  So I decided
> | to try another window manager, but I can't figure out how
> | to get xwindows to use the new window manager.  I have
> | searched google and debian user, tried 'update-alternatives
> | --config x-window-manager', editing symlinks, looking
> | though all of the config files in /etc/X11 and I just
> | can't figure out what is loading the window manager.
> >
> | I seems like I remember that years ago all you had to do
> | put the name of window manager at the top of some file,
> | but I can't find anything like that.

> That call should have worked:
>
>   $ update-alternatives --config x-window-manager
>   .. activate some from the list ...
>   $ startx

After looking around some more I found out the x-session-manager works
for startx, but it's not updated when new window managers are installed.
The x-session-manager updates: /etc/alternatives/@x-session-manager

The x-window-manager is updated when new window managers are installed,
so maybe @x-session-manager should link to @x-window-manager?

   Larry