Re: changing window managers

On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 11:10:11AM -0700, Larry Fletcher wrote:
> After looking around some more I found out the x-session-manager works
> for startx, but it's not updated when new window managers are
> installed.  The x-session-manager updates:
> /etc/alternatives/@x-session-manager

Why should the session manager symlink be changed by a window manager?

> The x-window-manager is updated when new window managers are
> installed, so maybe @x-session-manager should link to
> @x-window-manager?

No - x-session-manager should point to a session manager, and
x-window-manager to a window manager, respectively.

If you have a ~/.xsession file, you may have specified a window manager
in it. Otherwise, odds are the symlink from /usr/bin/x-window-manager is
being used.

--
Jon Dowland
http://jon.dowland.name/