configuring locales: "double free or corruption"

Hi all,

I'm running into the following problem. Whenever I try to configure
'locales' (which is whenever I try to install something with 'apt',
since the configuration fails each time), I get the following error:

# dpkg --configure locales
Setting up locales (2.3.5-3) ...
Generating locales (this might take a while)...
  en_US.ISO-8859-1... done
  en_US.ISO-8859-15... done
  en_US.UTF-8... done
Generation complete.
*** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (!prev): 0x1061c720 ***
dpkg: error processing locales (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script killed by signal (Aborted)
 locales

Any idea why this would be? Apparently if I set MALLOC_CHECK_ to 0
then it goes away, but I thought I'd mention it since it seems
indicative of a bug somewhere.

Frederik

--
http://ofb.net/~frederik/